Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

• Anmelden
  • Registrieren

Dreamer

König

Registrierungsdatum: 19. Februar 2008

Dienstag, 22. April 2008, 06:49

Dubbed or Subtitles?

With many great films/TV series being made in languages other than our own native language, we don't always get the benefit of hearing the original voice tracks. So, we are left with a version of the film that is dubbed into our native language or one where the original sound is there and distracting subtitles are added. Those who are fluent in multiple languages can fully enjoy the movie in its original form without either. Unfortunately, many of us don't have that ability. Sometimes we are given the choice of dubbed or subtitles but in some cases the choice is made for us.

Personally I prefer subtitles even though the text on the screen can sometimes be distracting, At least I am able to hear the original YS voices and having the real voice of the YS makes the viewing experience much more enjoyable. I may not understand a word they are saying but the tone, inflection and other voice qualities allow me to feel more in touch with the performer. What are your thoughts about this?

YS in Signature:
Euguerran Demeulenaere: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0218441/
Emile Hirsch : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0386472/

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Dreamer« (22. April 2008, 06:55)

• Zum Seitenanfang

Jimbo

Hüter der heiligen Lanzen

Registrierungsdatum: 11. Juli 2005

Dienstag, 22. April 2008, 14:25

I am thinking the same - it is much more pleasing to hear the original voices. Especially since the synchronizations are often really bad, and not given much effort. But the main thing certainly is the overall impression - it is just a completely different thing to watch a film in two languages. So I am glad that some TV stations like ARTE are offering the OL with subtitles here... ;+:

Also, I do not think that they are really distracting - I have seen very big ones or some with ugly fonts though... I think it is just like that: if you are average in reading normal texts (regarding the language of the subs, which is mainly english), then you should be able to enjoy a film with UT also - at least that is how I feel. Best possibility however is when you have the full choice between the languages and subtitles - unfortunately this won't happen too often...
Bald schon 20 Jahre hier... es wird Zeit für die Ewigkeit.
Der größte Feind des Menschen ist (und bleibt) der Mensch.
Quod tibi fieri non vis, alteri ne feceris !
As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.
  • Zum Seitenanfang

Prometheus

Dr. Hasenbein

Registrierungsdatum: 10. August 2007

Dienstag, 22. April 2008, 14:43

I'm ok with subtitles but when I'm watching movies with my dad I try to avoid subtitled movies and switch on to dubbed versions. Even some of my friends or some others of my family are lazy to read subtitles. But I also don't watch every movie in English or other languages it depends on if it is essential to hear the actors real voices ... especially of the young ones. 8) Let me say if the dubbing is OK and I'm not distracted by it and maybe it's a plain action movie..I prefer the dubbed version...if dubbing is REALLY bad and it is essential to feel more in touch with the actors (especially in dramas) then I want the original sound track. If you sometimes feel subtitles are unreadable because of their size...you need the proper size of your TV screen. :tongue: :D
Vive et alios sine vivere!

• Zum Seitenanfang

skykid

Eroberer

Registrierungsdatum: 21. März 2007

Dienstag, 22. April 2008, 15:19

Speaking as someone who loves to watch foreign movies I prefer them with subtitles. I really feel that the dubbing - no matter how good can always ruin a good movie. Moreover some of the foreign movies I am able to find are dubbed in Russian - and there is noting worse thing than unprofessional single voice dubbing ( some dude who says the parts of all characters in the movie without much emotion ).

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »skykid« (22. April 2008, 15:26)

• Zum Seitenanfang

Jimbo

Hüter der heiligen Lanzen

Registrierungsdatum: 11. Juli 2005

Dienstag, 22. April 2008, 15:25

you need the proper size of your TV screen. :tongue: :D
No problems here... :D
»Jimbo« hat folgende Datei angehängt:
  • aquos.jpg (46,77 kB - 169 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 3. Mai 2015, 11:27)
Bald schon 20 Jahre hier... es wird Zeit für die Ewigkeit.
Der größte Feind des Menschen ist (und bleibt) der Mensch.
Quod tibi fieri non vis, alteri ne feceris !
As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.
  • Zum Seitenanfang

Prometheus

Dr. Hasenbein

Dienstag, 22. April 2008, 16:47

I guess this is the next one I'm going to buy. :kicher:

• Zum Seitenanfang

Dreamer

König

Dienstag, 22. April 2008, 17:41

Now, THAT is a TV screen! :rofl: But, for those of us who live in small houses or apartments, it might present some serious space problems. :D As for dubbing- there has been a lot of improvement in the quality in recent years. In the past they more often were out of sync and the voices totally did not fit the characters.. adults would fake children's voices, etc. There are some cases where badly dubbed movies can be enjoyable. For example, the old Japanese monster movies were so badly dubbed that it actually became a comedy. :lol:
But, when it comes to YS performers I still like to hear the real voices. In some cases the storyline is secondary with the main interest being the visual enjoyment of the actors. In that case the original soundtrack with no dub or subtitles is fine. There are some really cute :knuddel: movies that have very dumb storielines. In those cases I don't really care what they are saying, I am so absorbed in the visual and voice that the story isn't that important :D It is like enjoying a song being performed in a foreign language. You may not know what the words are but the tones of the voice are so beautiful.
:knuddel:

YS in Signature:
  • Zum Seitenanfang

pyXis

Hüter des Lichts

Registrierungsdatum: 3. Januar 2006

Mittwoch, 23. April 2008, 00:56

You might call me a pervert, but I prefer both the original soundtrack, plus the English subtitles.
The reason is that, while being quite fluent in English, there are so many weird dialects :D that are
hard to understand. I also found it a great learning tool for the foreign languages, because it reinforces
the connection of what you hear and what you read.

BTW, my observation is that movies and TV series are mostly dubbed in countries with a large
population, such as France or Germany. Here, the market is big enough. In smaller countries,
like Netherlands or the Scandinavian countries, most broadcasting is subtitled. The consequence
is that people are exposed to English all their life, and they are generally much more fluent in
this language, and therefore better educated.
  • Zum Seitenanfang

Dreamer

König

Mittwoch, 23. April 2008, 01:55

You are right about the dialects. Here in USA there are regional dialects and often it is a little difficult for someone from one region to fully understand the dialect of another region. Of course, TV and film have done much to make English more uniform but I'm not sure that is good. I personally find the dialects interesting and it adds a special character to individuals' speech. Unfortunately here in the USA we don't have a lot of access to original foreign films on TV. Some networks run foreign films but more often they are dubbed into English. IFC (Independent Film Channel) sometimes runs films in the orginal language with subtitles but these usually are films without YS. It would be great if NTSC and PAL formats were combined into one universal format to make it easier to get and view original films from any country. I doubt that will happen any time soon.

YS in Signature:
  • Zum Seitenanfang

Registrierungsdatum: 29. August 2005

Donnerstag, 24. April 2008, 21:52

Honestly I hate dubbing. No matter how well it may be performed, it destroys the magnificence of the film.
  • Zum Seitenanfang

Nemesis

Lichtgestalt des Forums

Registrierungsdatum: 19. April 2008

Donnerstag, 24. April 2008, 22:08

personally i hate subtitles because when i watch a film i want to see every single part of the activity. first i try to watch the film in original speech, but when i don´t understand it i try to watch it dubbed. mostly i can follow to the original speech when it is in english. but when you saw it dubbed one time, then the original speech is not a problem any longer.
:cool3: V.I.P. MEMBER :cool3:

...und 8476 user hätten sich bedankt, wenn es denn möglich gewesen wäre.....ganz bestimmt!
  • Zum Seitenanfang

pyXis

Hüter des Lichts

Freitag, 25. April 2008, 01:39

... but when you saw it dubbed one time, then the original speech is not a problem any longer.

Well, when I really like the movie, I first watch it with the original subtitles to get all the twists of the dialogue, and then a second time to enjoy full vision :)
  • Zum Seitenanfang

Dreamer

König

Freitag, 25. April 2008, 02:57

The one thing that we all agree on is that the original sound is best. Beyond that, we each make our choice of dubbed or subtitles, assuming that we are given a choice.
When American TV series appear on German TV, are they always dubbed or are they sometimes shown with original sound?

YS in Signature:
  • Zum Seitenanfang

Prometheus

Dr. Hasenbein

Freitag, 25. April 2008, 15:43

Zitat von »Dreamer«

When American TV series appear on German TV, are they always dubbed or are they sometimes shown with original sound?[/font][/size][/i][/color]

Usually they are dubbed to death. :D I only know the example of Swiss TV giving the choice to select between German dubbing or English original.

• Zum Seitenanfang

pyXis

Hüter des Lichts

Samstag, 26. April 2008, 00:47

I remember when "Home Improvement" with YS JTT et al. was first broadcasted on the primary state channel (ARD),
it was available in dual-channel, both German and English. But it was in the night programme only, and
nobody really noticed. After the first season or so, the package was sold to private channels, which
marketed it better, but in the dubbed version only. Since then, it had endless re-runs, but
nobody ever heard the English voices again, until it was eventually pressed on DVD :D
  • Zum Seitenanfang